Welcome to Smartproxy!
We know you can’t wait to start using 40 million proxies. That’s why this guide will have you up and running instantly. Find everything you need to get started: hold on tight and scroll down!
Unlimited proxy network
No connection limits
Advanced proxy rotation
Each proxy checked every minute
- What is a proxy
- Smartproxy proxy network
- Where you can use proxies
- The Package: what you get
- Monthly subscriptions
- Smartproxy dashboard overview
- Choosing the right proxy (authentication and proxy server)
- Test proxies with cURL. Examples in domain:port format
- Residential backconnect proxies
- Public API
Before you start:
Purchased a plan. What’s next?
1. What is a proxy
Proxy is an intermediary server between two devices on a network (read more about what is a proxy here). Residential IPs are private IP addresses associated with internet service providers (ISP). Our residential proxy network routes your requests through real desktop and mobile devices when accessing the web.
2. Smartproxy proxy network
Our shared proxy network has the best proxy pool technology. It lets you use proxies in the pool concurrently, which means that you can use millions of IP addresses. You also get free advanced proxy rotation with every plan, which gives you a new IP address for every connection request.
- Forget IP lists. We have a rotating proxy network for both residential and datacenter proxies, so there is no option to purchase individual/static IPs. Don’t worry – most bots/tools accept domain:port format.
- Unlimited IP addresses. Once you sign up, you will get access to the whole pool of IPs no matter which plan you choose.
- Automatically rotating proxies. Automatically rotating proxy ports that will rotate your proxies for each connection.
There are two IP pools in our network: datacenter and residential. Datacenter proxies have exceptional speeds and are cheaper than residential proxies, which give you advanced flexibility. Read this blogpost and find out more about residential and datacenter proxies.
- Shared proxies. Our advanced proxy network technology allows for few users to share the same IP address at a time.
- Flexible. See our configurations and integrations to set up proxies on any browser, device, or tool.
- Fast. We use the best proxy server technologies that optimize your connection speed and residential proxy performance.
- Unblocked. Use a simple backconnect node to target IPs in any location on the planet. Geo-targeting with our proxy network is a breeze! Read more about this topic in section 9, “Residential backconnect proxies”
- Anonymous. All proxies in our pool are anonymous. They never give away your real IP address or location.
|Shared rotating IPs >||Yes||Yes|
|Dedicated IP list||No||No|
|Rotating session >||Yes||Yes|
|Sticky session >||Yes, up to 30min||Yes, 30min|
|Proxy authentication >||Username:password / Whitelist||Username:password|
|Domain:port format >||Yes||Yes|
|HTTP, HTTPs and IPV4 >||Yes||Yes|
3. Where you can use proxies
Join thousands of universities, web developers, NGOs, and entrepreneurs who use Smartproxy every day. Our network supports proxy usage for data scraping, ad verification, various bots and automation tools, web browsers, sneaker bots, and any other applications that support HTTP/HTTPS proxies.
Adapting our network to various use cases ensures that sharing proxies between two or three users does not impact the connection success rate to any target server. You can find our clients’ success studies here.
- Market research. Real-time price monitoring, data scraping and aggregation, search engine tracking, ad verification, and travel fare comparison.
- Social networks. Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, and so on.
- Retail. Sneakers, eBay, Shopify, Craiglist, and many others.
- Over 10,000 other uses and targets.
We have the fewest blocked targets out of all major proxy networks.
4. The Package: What you get
Residential and datacenter proxies work like semi-dedicated proxy networks: you can use the same IP for a longer time with a sticky session. Also, these proxies are cheap like shared ones but are high-performing as only a few clients can use the same proxy at a time.
- Only real device IPs. All proxies in our residential pool come from real desktop and mobile devices. They do not share subnetworks and are extremely hard to block.
- Shared private proxies. Our proxies are not public. Only paying clients can have access to our IP addresses.
- Unlimited IPs. We are the only major shared proxy provider that lets you use the whole proxy pool regardless of the price level. You can use an unlimited number of IPs, connections, threads, and countries at once. Our pricing model is based only on traffic usage.
- 24/7 customer support. We are here to help you in any way we can! Let’s chat!
5. Monthly subscriptions
- Plans. Our pricing model is based only on traffic usage. You can choose from residential or datacenter plans.
- Auto-renewal monthly subscription. When you purchase a Smartproxy plan, you create an auto-renewal monthly subscription. Payments are made automatically every month at the beginning of every billing cycle. The billing cycle begins on the day of your first payment.
- Subscription management. You can change your plan by upgrading/downgrading/renewing it at any time. If you don’t upgrade your subscription plan, unused GBs (traffic) will not be transferred to the new billing cycle. Read more about GB transferring here.
- Traffic management. Use auto top-up functionality or purchase extra GBs if you ever run out of traffic. Extra traffic is added to your current subscription. It does not extend the subscription period.
- Trial and refund policy. You’re 100% safe with our first order’s 3-day money-back guarantee (except for BTC payments). Read more about our refund policy here.
- Opt-out of subscription. As each of our plans creates an auto-renewal monthly subscription, you have to opt-out of the monthly subscription before the next billing cycle starts. Read more about the cancellation flow here.
Purchased a plan. What’s next? Read here.
6. Smartproxy dashboard overview
- Pricing. Choose a monthly plan subscription to start using our proxies. Upgrade or downgrade your plan with a few clicks. You can choose from 7 residential plans and 4 datacenter plans. We accept payments with credit cards, PayPal, and BTC.
- Proxy user (proxy authentication) a.k.a. user:pass authorization. With one proxy user, you can connect to as many locations and concurrent sessions as you want. This means that you can access the whole proxy pool! It might be useful to create multiple proxy users (sub-users) if you want to track and limit traffic usage for different tasks/projects. If you want, add a GB limit to control the sub user’s traffic use. We will cover this topic in section 7.1, called Proxy authentication. With user:pass authentication you will be able to use rotating or sticky sessions for up to 1, 10, 30 minutes.
Total users – the number of proxy users you can create and how many of them are active. The number depends on your plan.
Create a proxy user – for the username, you can use upper and lower case letters, numbers, and ‘_’. The minimum length of the username is 6 characters. Please do not use ‘@’ in the password. To change any proxy authentication credential, click ‘Edit’.
Buy additional users – get additional proxy users at any time.
Whitelist (proxy authentication. Only for residential proxies). You can create a list of trusted location’s IP address (a.k.a. trusted devices). These IPs can access proxies without user:pass. With one whitelisted device IP, you can connect to as many locations and concurrent sessions as you want. We will cover this topic in section 7.1, called Proxy authentication. Please be aware that with whitelist authentication you will be able to use rotating or sticky sessions for up to 10 minutes.
NOTE: Datacenter proxies and IPv6 whitelisting is not supported.
- Proxy server. Connect to a specific proxy pool by using the domain:port format (endpoint:port). Choose between residential/datacenter proxy endpoints (‘gateways’) or get a cURL command example. We will cover this part in section 7, called “Choosing the right proxy (authentication and proxy server)”.
- Traffic usage. Traffic is the sum of incoming request size and outgoing content size (request headers + request data + response headers + response data). You can see your traffic statistics and subscription details in this tab.
Overall traffic details – track your traffic usage and find out how many GBs you have left. You will get an update via email once you use 80% of your plan.
Filter statistics – select a period and check your usage statistics.
- Apps. Get a proxy list with our proxy generator and boost your browsing experience with the Chrome/Firefox Extension.
- Referral program. Invite your besties to the Smartproxy family and get 10% of the residential plan size your friend purchased! The referral program will launch automatically after 32 days of your subscription’s activation.
7. Choosing the right proxy (authentication and proxy server)
When you use our services, you will connect to a specific proxy pool using the domain:port format (endpoint:port), e.g., us.smartproxy.com:10000, and your authentication method.
Need IP:port format? We do not recommend using IP:Port format unless it’s absolutely necessary (e.g., if your application does not accept the default endpoint:port format) because our server’s IP may change at any time. If you have any questions, please contact the support team.
Purchased a plan. What’s next?
To be able to connect to a specific proxy pool and get proxies, you need to decide on:
- Proxy authentication method: Proxy user (username:password) or whitelisting (whitelisting trusted devices’ IPs). You can find further information in the 7.1 section, Proxy authentications.
- The location you want to target. That is defined by proxy address (endpoint) in the ‘Proxy server’ tab. You can find further information in the 7.2 section, Location: proxy address (endpoint).
- Session type you will use: sticky or rotating. This is defined by the port number in the ‘Proxy server’ tab. You can find further information in the 7.3 section, Session type: port.
7.1 Proxy authentication
Our residential proxies can be accessed via two different types of authentication: user:pass and whitelisting.
- Proxy user a.k.a. username:password (residential and datacenter proxies).
One proxy user can connect to the whole proxy pool and have as many concurrent sessions as they want. It might be useful to create multiple proxy users (sub-users) if you want to track and limit traffic usage for different tasks/projects. That’s why with each plan you get a different amount of proxy users or can purchase extra proxy users at any time.
If you choose this authentication method, you will need to use ‘Username’ and ‘Password’ credentials together with your selected proxy server (domain:port). To set up this authentication, go to the ‘Proxy user’ tab.
With user:pass authentication you will be able to use rotating or sticky sessions for up to 1, 10, 30 minutes.
NOTE: Your first proxy user password is the same as your dashboard login. We strongly recommend changing it. If you make some changes to your proxy user, please wait for 10-15min before using it again.
- IP-based whitelisting / Location’s IP address (residential proxies only)
IP whitelisting allows you to create lists of trusted IP addresses (trusted devices). If you choose a whitelisting as your authentication method, you won’t need to use your username:password together with your selected proxy server. To set up this authentication, go to the ‘Whitelist’ tab. How many devices you can mark as ‘trusted’ depends on your plan.
With whitelist authentication you will be able to use rotating or sticky sessions for up to 10 minutes.
NOTE: whitelist option does not work on datacenter proxies and IPv6 whitelisting is not supported.
Once the authentication is ready, you can move on to filtering the right proxy server for you. To form the correct domain:port format (a.k.a. endpoint:port), use the ‘Proxy server’ tab in your dashboard. Proxy addresses are different for residential and datacenter proxies. You can filter them out and use them later on your tool/bot.
7.2 Location: proxy address (endpoint)
You need to use the proxy address to connect to the proxy pool (a specific location). For example, if you need residential IPs from any location, you will use a random proxy address (endpoint) gate.smartproxy.com. If you need a specific location, for example, the USA, find a proxy address (endpoint) accordingly (us.smartproxy.com). We will talk about how it looks in cURL a bit later.
Use the proxy location filter to find a specific country, state, or city. With the residential plan, you can choose from over 195 locations, including states and 8 cities. While with the datacenter plan, we offer US proxies.
7.3 Session type: port
Final step – choose the port. Its number determines your session type:
- Rotating IP session.
The IPs will change automatically with each new request from the proxy pool you specified. You don’t need to have an IP list anymore or rotate proxies manually, as the port will cover it all behind the scenes.
The port number depends on your chosen session. When you’re using the rotating session, the port will be identified with one number and a certain amount of zeros. For example, a rotating proxy in a random location will use the 7000 and USA 10000.
- Sticky IP session
Sticky session rotates proxies slower, which means that you can keep the same IP for a longer period of time: up to 1, 10, 30 mins for residential IPs and 30 mins for datacenter IPs.
A sticky session provides you with a port range. Same as with rotating session, you don’t need to have an IP list anymore or rotate proxies manually as port/port range will cover it all behind the scenes.
If you use a sticky session, you can use any port(s) in the ports range to connect to the proxy server (endpoint). You can also download your filtered list of domain:ports by clicking on ‘Download the list’.
Now you have everything: the authentication, the proxy address (domain), and the port (or port range) to integrate our proxies to your tool/bot/scraper whenever you want.
Now let’s see how you can use these parameters with cURL.
8. Test proxies with cURL. Examples in domain:port format
- For a rotating session with a random location.
The gate.smartproxy.com:7000 will rotate your IP to an IP address from a random location with every new request. cURL (with user:pass authorization) will look like:
curl -U user:pass -x gate.smartproxy.com:7000 https://ipinfo.io
- For a rotating session with a specific location.
curl -U user:pass -x us.smartproxy.com:10000 https://ipinfo.io
As shown in the cURL (with user:pass authorization) example above, you can use a single city/country-specific proxy address (endpoint) to get a random proxy in that city/country with every query. For example, use us.smartproxy.com:10000 for IP addresses in the US.
- For a sticky session with a random location. Your new IP address will not change with each new request but will stay the same for a longer period of time (residential proxies up to 1, 10, 30min, datacenter proxies up to 30min). cURL (with user:pass authorization) will look like:
curl -U user:pass -x gate.smartproxy.com:10000 https://ipinfo.io curl -U user:pass -x gate.smartproxy.com:10001 https://ipinfo.io curl -U user:pass -x gate.smartproxy.com:10002 https://ipinfo.io ... curl -U user:pass -x gate.smartproxy.com:49999 https://ipinfo.io
When you need to establish sticky sessions with IP addresses from random locations, use a single backconnect entry node with the sticky session parameter. We will cover this in section 9, called “Residential backconnect proxies.”
- For a sticky session with a specific location. You need to choose sticky ports to keep an IP address from a specific location for longer periods of time.
curl -U user:pass -x it.smartproxy.com:20001 https://ipinfo.io curl -U user:pass -x it.smartproxy.com:20001 https://ipinfo.io curl -U user:pass -x it.smartproxy.com:20002 https://ipinfo.io ... curl -U user:pass -x it.smartproxy.com:29999 https://ipinfo.io
The most popular countries have up to 10,000 ports for sticky IPs. For example, it.smartproxy.com: 25762 will give you the same Italian IP address to use for up to 30 minutes. Please note that this endpoint (it.smartproxy.com) has 10,000 sticky ports, from 20001 to 29999. You can download them all by clicking ‘Download this list’.
9. Residential backconnect proxies
A backconnect proxy is configurable residential proxy access. You can add specific parameters such as the session type, country, city and fully control your connection.
Smartproxy offers a single backconnect endpoint: gate.smartproxy.com:7000. To use this endpoint, you need to pass all parameters in a string alongside your username and password (whitelist authentication does not work here). For example, a location-targeted backconnect proxy server parameter lets you access IPs only from a certain country or city.
As a backconnect proxy only works on the residential pool, it assigns a new IP address for each rotating request or a sticky IP for up to 30 minutes. If you want to use a sticky session, use Session ID. Otherwise, just ignore that part to receive a rotating proxy.
The backconnect entry node can be used in various applications. You will need to pass every parameter for your session alongside the username in the username field: user-username-country-country_code-city-city_name-session-randomstring. A few examples:
- To get a random proxy from a specific country and a random city
curl -U user-username-country-it:password -x gate.smartproxy.com:7000 https://ipinfo.io
To get a proxy in a specific country with a sticky IP address (using session ID).
Example of sticky Portuguese proxy using session ID randomstring123 – session ID defined by a string of your choice.
curl -U user-username-country-pt-session-randomstring123:password -x gate.smartproxy.com:7000 https://ipinfo.io
To get a proxy in a specific country and city with a sticky IP address (using session ID)
Example of sticky US – New York proxy using session ID randomstring123 – session ID defined by a string of your choice.
curl -U user-username-country-us-city-new_york-session-randomstring123:password -x gate.smartproxy.com:7000 https://ipinfo.io
10. Public API
With Smartproxy API, you will be able to access proxies and take full control over your account.
- Create, update, delete, and set traffic limits for your proxy users.
- Pull out reports for traffic usage.
- Create and delete whitelisted IPs to simplify authentication.
- Filter and list all endpoints with ports.
- Check the status of your current subscription.