What are Residential Proxies?
In this article you will find answers to the following questions:
A residential proxy is an intermediary that uses an IP address provided by an Internet Service Provider (ISP), not a data center. Each residential proxy address has a physical location. And even though billions of digital devices connect to the internet at any time, their IP addresses can pinpoint the location of any device. So, every time you go online, you give out information about your browser preferences, cookies and get logged with your real IP address.This includes IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome! You can also use proxies on your iPhone or Android devices.Unlike regular residential proxies, which simply hide your real IP behind another IP, rotating residential proxies, also known as backconnect proxies, conceal you behind a pool of proxies. These proxies switch between themselves with every session or at regular intervals. When you choose rotating proxies, your IP will continuously change. This way you can make as many requests as you like without getting flagged for suspicious activity. Here’s what happens each time you make a server request:Smartproxy offers a range of price plans to suit your needs and budget. Price plans are based on traffic usage and offer access to a pool of over 40 million proxies. All plans come with an unlimited number of connections, threads, and countries at any time. City-level targeting is available.
- What is a residential IP?
- How do I get a residential IP address?
- What are residential proxies used for?
- What are rotating residential proxies?
- How to connect via rotating residential proxies?
- How long do residential proxies last?
- How do I use multiple residential proxies?
What are residential proxies?
A residential proxy is an IP address provided by an Internet Service Provider (ISP).Trouble is, while the internet is a global community, many service providers will geo-lock content so you can only access it from certain countries. Moreover, if you’re trying to scrape data or use bots for social media or scripts for Search engine optimization (SEO), your IP address might get blocked and you won't be able to access the desired webpage. Luckily, a residential proxy network is one of the effective ways to getting around these problems.
What is a residential IP?A residential IP address is an IP address tied to a physical device, for example, a mobile phone or desktop computer. Their real owners, Internet service providers, register residential IP addresses in public databases, which lets websites determine a device’s internet provider, network and location. Most online services recognize residential IP addresses as real people, as opposed to those who use data center IP addresses.
How do I get a residential IP address?You can get a residential IP from various proxy providers. Some providers offer a list of IP addresses, while others, like us, offer endpoints. This is going to save you some hassle – there's no more need to import proxy lists, and there's almost zero chance you will get a proxy that doesn't work.
How do residential proxies work?First, it’s important to note that residential proxies are different from datacenter proxies. Residential proxies are more reliable and more in demand, while datacenter ones are easier to block. Even though they are the cheaper option, you do get what you pay for. Let’s talk about the real MVPs – residential proxies. This is how the residential proxy magic happens:
- The proxies route your internet traffic through an intermediary server.
- This server changes the IP address of your connection request.
- Your IP is completely hidden, and you appear as a different yet completely normal user.
Why use a residential proxy network?You might want to hide your IP address for various reasons. Or you might need to scrape data from several websites, run many accounts from the same machine, upload or download torrents via P2P connections or stream geo-blocked content. Whatever the case is, a residential proxy network is great for hiding your true online identity. It allocates genuine, residential IPs to you and hides your IP from servers for more online anonymity. There is one snag, though – search engines will only allow you to make a specific number of requests from the same IP per minute. Thus, this type of single server set up can significantly limit your browsing options, and even get a ban if you exceed the rate you’re given. Luckily, our residential proxies come with advanced rotation, which does make it easier to get past this hiccup.
What are residential proxies used for?Residential proxies can be used for market research, business automation, social networks, and retail. Here’s some info about what you can really do with paid proxies:
- Market research: web scraping, ad verification, affiliate testing, SEO, and travel fare. Web scraping lets you collect all kinds of data to get ahead of your competitors – and do it fast. Ad verification helps you test and localize your ads while using real desktop and mobile IP addresses. Affiliate testing is easier than it looks – this is for checking localized affiliate content and whether it’s trustworthy or not. SEO proxies make it possible to conduct competitor research and look after your domain rating. Finally, travel fare aggregation will make your flight search engine soar with the right kind of data.
- Business automation: you need to meet changing market demands in order to stay ahead of other businesses. Luckily, you can use Smartproxy's residential IPs for data extraction, all kinds of automation processes, gathering business intelligence, and other use cases. Data center IP addresses are no match for real device IPs when it comes to competing for the highest market share. For your convenience, you can easily track your usage statistics in our dashboard!
- Social networks: this is a very popular reason why our users choose residential proxies. Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, and other social networks are quite cautious, however, with the help of residential proxies, you can still create and manage multiple accounts, increase your following, and change your location without any restrictions.
- Retail: have you heard about sneaker bots? There’s a whole market for sneaker copping, and it’s outstandingly profitable. Sneaker proxies are the ones to go for if you want to start copping, but you can also unblock and scrape eBay, Shopify, and Craigslist if sneaker copping is not your cup of tea.
Our proxies work with every major browser
What are rotating residential proxies?
- You send a server request through your normal connection. We will call this Connection 1, and let’s say you search for “smart proxy”.
- The server returns you the result: https://smartproxy.com/. If you keep repeating this search or run a bot to make multiple, high-rate searches, the search engine will flag this as suspicious activity and may even ban Connection 1.
How to connect via rotating residential proxies?
Free proxy services often steal data, passwords and even hack their users.All you need to do to get started is to sign up to our dashboard. There you will get to choose your preferred subscription, change your plan, or add credits. You can also track daily traffic usage, add sub-users or whitelist IPs and track their usage. For more information, check out our FAQs, or get in touch via live chat.